On the morning of Nov. 23, a 49-year-old electrical worker from Easton was apparently performing annual maintenance work on a high-voltage transformer on Route 22 at the Goldman Sachs location in Bridgewater before he was accidentally electrocuted. Officers said that the man went into cardiac arrest after touching a live wire. He also sustained third degree burns as a result of the accident, according to reports.
He was given CPR at the scene, and his pulse was re-established before he was transported to a nearby hospital for stabilization. Afterwards, he was reportedly transferred to Linvingston's Saint Barnabas Hospital Burn Center for further treatment to his third-degree burns.
The man is reportedly an employee of Scholes Electric of Piscataway. At least two other workers, including the job's foreman, were on the scene at the time of the accident. The foreman had reportedly went to check out the power outage in the facility before returning and spotting the man on the ground. It is not clear what types of safety precautions were taken prior to beginning the electrical work. Reports indicate that the Public Employees Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified about the accident and the man's work-related injuries.
Those who work a job that carries a certain amount of personal risk, such as electrical maintenance construction work, may suffer serious injuries following a workplace accident. In instances of a workplace accident, it may take weeks for a person to fully recover from their injuries, thus resulting in loss of wages during this time. Those who suffer on-the-job injuries may wish to consult with a Pennsylvania attorney to discuss possible compensation for both medical expenses and lost wages.
Source: Jersey Tribune, 'Worker's pulse stops after being electrocuted at Goldman Sachs in Bridgewater," O'Brien, Walter, Nov. 25, 2013
Source: mycentraljersey.com, "Industrial accident in Bridgewater causes electrocution", Pamela MacKenzie, November 24, 2013