Dugan & Associates, P.C.
No Recovery - No FeeFree Consultation
Serving all of Western Pennsylvania
Local: 412-353-3572 Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N

What happens if you receive third party payments for your injury?

Equipment fails, people don't pay attention or materials are sub-par. The heavy machining work is dangerous and stressful on the machines that help you do your job. That is why these machines have to be tough, reliable and last a long time. However, every now and then, the forklift you were driving or the jackhammer you were operating breaks and you are injured. Can you file for workers' compensation and pursue a lawsuit against the third-party responsible for your injuries? The short answer is yes, and this article will review the legal implications of that scenario.

Workers' compensation is designed to get money to you fast. You sacrifice some of your recovery in exchange for speed and efficiency in getting it to you. The idea behind this system was to ensure that workers and their families do not become impoverished if the primary breadwinner is injured. However, sometimes you receive workers' compensation while you are also pursuing a lawsuit against the entity or person responsible for your injury.

The first thing you should do is file a workers' compensation claim. You were working, and you were injured so you are entitled to those payments. The second thing you should do is file a lawsuit against whoever was responsible for your injury. Bear in mind that your employer is entitled to reimbursements for your workers' compensation payments from the money you receive from that third party.

How your employer gets to this recovery depends upon your relationship with them. Ideally, you and your employer maintain an open dialogue through your attorneys, and you collaborate on the best way. However, if this communication breaks down, then your employer can resort to more forceful means, like placing a lien on your recovery or intervening into the lawsuit to protect their rights.

If you were injured on the job and are interested in taking action against a third-party, then you may want to contact a workers' compensation attorney. The attorney could work on your behalf in an effort to help you resolve any disputes between yourself and your employer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pittsburgh Office
4 West Manilla Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15220

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-922-0800
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

Beaver County Office
2002 McMinn St.
Aliquippa, PA 15001

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-775-7372
Aliquippa Law Office Map

North Hills
6400 Brooktree Ct.
Wexford, PA 15090

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-933-0133
Wexford Law Office Map

Butler County
2009 Mackenzie Way
Suite 100
Cranberry Twp, PA 16066

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-283-7063
Cranberry Twp Law Office Map

400 Penn Center Blvd.
Suite 101
Monroeville, PA 15232

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-261-1129

Westmoreland County
101 N. Main St.
Suite 104 - A
Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-836-7454

Washington County
2400 Ansys Dr.
Suite 102
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-743-0463
Canonsburg Law Office Map

Serving all of Western Pennsylvania Free Consultation