Dugan & Associates, P.C.
No Recovery - No FeeFree Consultation
Serving all of Western Pennsylvania
Local: 412-353-3572 Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N

How to file a claim if you are an injured harbor worker

Longshore and harbor workers are protected by a special federal law called the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act. This law provides a parallel workers' compensation system through the federal government. You file claims with the Division of the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation, also referred to as DLHWC.

The first thing you should do is seek medical attention and then, when you're physically able, report the injury to your employer. Request your employer give you a Form LS-1. This authorizes you to seek treatment from a doctor of your choice.

After you receive treatment, you need to give written notice to your employer within 30 days of your injury. This must be done on Form LS-201. If you are unable to send out this form due to your injuries, then you must have a family member fill out the form on your behalf.

If you think that you suffered a permanently disabling injury, you should file Form LS-203 within one year of the injury (or the last day you received a paycheck). This starts the claims process.

Your claim will be reviewed by the DLHWC. You may contact your local DLHWC office to inquire as to the status of your claim. You can electronically submit any additional documents through the Department of Labor website.

If you were injured while on the job, then you may want to consult with a workers' compensation attorney. Workers' compensation claims can get very complicated very quickly. As you can see, you may have to file paperwork with multiple agencies. Each of these agencies, insurance companies and your employer will have strict deadlines with which you must comply. An attorney can help ensure that you do not lose out of your benefits because of a missed appointment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pittsburgh Office
4 West Manilla Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15220

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-922-0800
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

Beaver County Office
2002 McMinn St.
Aliquippa, PA 15001

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-775-7372
Aliquippa Law Office Map

North Hills
6400 Brooktree Ct.
Wexford, PA 15090

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-933-0133
Wexford Law Office Map

Butler County
2009 Mackenzie Way
Suite 100
Cranberry Twp, PA 16066

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-283-7063
Cranberry Twp Law Office Map

400 Penn Center Blvd.
Suite 101
Monroeville, PA 15232

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-261-1129

Westmoreland County
101 N. Main St.
Suite 104 - A
Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-836-7454

Washington County
2400 Ansys Dr.
Suite 102
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-743-0463
Canonsburg Law Office Map

Serving all of Western Pennsylvania Free Consultation