Dugan & Associates, P.C.
No Recovery - No FeeFree Consultation
Serving all of Western Pennsylvania
Local: 412-353-3572 Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N

What is different between workers' compensation and disability?

Industrial work and heavy machinery while much safer than ever, is still incredibly dangerous. One mistake or lax in attention and you could be seriously injured. Luckily there are numerous programs to assist you if you are injured and/or unable to work. This article will discuss the various programs and how they may assist you if you are injured and unable to work.

There are three different types of programs to assist injured workers: state disability, social security disability insurance and workers' compensation. Each of these programs provides payments for different situations. This article will go these programs and how they may assist you.

State disability insurance covers workers who are injured either on the job or away from the job and are unable to work. It provides supplements to income until you are able to return to work. Conversely, workers' compensation covers you only if you are injured while on the job. State disability is paid out by a state agency after you file a claim whereas workers' compensation is paid out by an insurance policy purchased by your employer.

Each of these benefits provides income replacement payments for the duration of your injury and healing process. But workers' compensation only provides payments if you are expected to be able to return to work. So once your injuries are too severe and you are considered permanently disabled, then workers' compensation will not cover you. Similarly, state disability payments end after 52 weeks of payouts.

Once these benefits end then you are eligible for permanent disability (social security) and Medicaid for health coverage. These benefits will continue for the rest of your life.

If you were injured on the job then you may want to speak to an attorney. As you can see, there are multiple ways in which you can get compensation for your injuries. It is still possible to file a civil action against your employer, if you prefer that route however it would be best to discuss that matter with your attorney. An injury does not have to devastate your family. There are programs that can help you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pittsburgh Office
4 West Manilla Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15220

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-922-0800
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

Beaver County Office
2002 McMinn St.
Aliquippa, PA 15001

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-775-7372
Aliquippa Law Office Map

North Hills
6400 Brooktree Ct.
Wexford, PA 15090

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-933-0133
Wexford Law Office Map

Butler County
2009 Mackenzie Way
Suite 100
Cranberry Twp, PA 16066

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-283-7063
Cranberry Twp Law Office Map

400 Penn Center Blvd.
Suite 101
Monroeville, PA 15232

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-261-1129

Westmoreland County
101 N. Main St.
Suite 104 - A
Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-836-7454

Washington County
2400 Ansys Dr.
Suite 102
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-743-0463
Canonsburg Law Office Map

Serving all of Western Pennsylvania Free Consultation