Dugan & Associates, P.C.
No Recovery - No FeeFree Consultation
Serving all of Western Pennsylvania
Local: 412-353-3572 Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N Toll Free: 888-99-D-U-G-A-N

What to Do If Your Child Is Injured in a Bicycle Accident

1315352pexels-photo-680108.jpgIt's every parent's worst nightmare: your child was riding a bicycle when they were struck by a car. It happens more often than you'd think - in 2015, over 61,000 children were involved in motor vehicle crashes while on a bicycle. While any bicycle accident involving your child can be terrifying, if your child is hit by a car, there are important measures to take after the accident that will help protect your right to compensation:

Seek Medical Treatment

The first and most crucial step to take following a bicycle accident is to seek prompt medical care for your child. Their injuries should be treated immediately, even if they seem minor. This not only ensures the best possible outcome for recovery, it will provide documentation regarding the extent of your child's injuries should you need it for a lawsuit or settlement.

Find Witnesses

Once your child is safe and receiving medical care, you should begin to collect the names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident. You'll need the witnesses to help understand if the car driver is legally responsible for the accident and for your child's injuries. If the driver is still at the scene, obtain their name, contact information, driver's license, and insurance information.

Gather Evidence

In addition to witnesses, you should take photos of your child's injuries as soon as possible, as well as the entire accident scene. Leave the bicycle and any other damaged property just as it was after the accident. Be sure to write down as much information about the accident as possible.

Call the Police

It's important to report the accident to the police even if you don't believe your child has been injured. The child's injuries might not be obvious right away, and injuries that appear minor sometimes develop into serious, ongoing problems. The police will document everything in a police report, which will be of use later when resolving any disagreements over what happened.

Contact an Attorney

If your child has been injured in a bicycle accident, the team at Dugan & Associates is here for you, and we're ready to look at your case. Our team of experienced lawyers will make sure you receive the maximum monetary compensation available to you. Contact us for your free consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Pittsburgh Office
4 West Manilla Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15220

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-922-0800
Pittsburgh Law Office Map

Beaver County Office
2002 McMinn St.
Aliquippa, PA 15001

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-775-7372
Aliquippa Law Office Map

North Hills
6400 Brooktree Ct.
Wexford, PA 15090

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-933-0133
Wexford Law Office Map

Butler County
2009 Mackenzie Way
Suite 100
Cranberry Twp, PA 16066

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-283-7063
Cranberry Twp Law Office Map

400 Penn Center Blvd.
Suite 101
Monroeville, PA 15232

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 412-261-1129

Westmoreland County
101 N. Main St.
Suite 104 - A
Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-836-7454

Washington County
2400 Ansys Dr.
Suite 102
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phone: 412-353-3572
Phone: 724-743-0463
Canonsburg Law Office Map

Serving all of Western Pennsylvania Free Consultation