DUI accidents are devastating for the victims and the families who love them. Pennsylvania alone records about 10,000 DUI-related car crashes each year, hundreds of which result in fatalities, and many of which impact teenage drivers. For victims and their families, these DUI accidents are life-altering events that may directly impact their financial health and physical wellbeing. Finding a personal injury attorney with experience in auto accidents can help victims and their families win the compensation they deserve.
Fighting in DUI Cases: Why An Attorney is Critical
If you’d like to seek compensation from a DUI driver who has injured you or a loved one, first consult with a personal injury attorney or an auto accident attorney who has experience working with DUI cases. Although the other driver may be completely at fault, there could be multiple factors working against you and your case. These include:
- Pennsylvania laws. DUI drivers can hire their own attorneys, and the DUI arrest records are not always admissible in personal injury cases.
- The guilty driver’s insurance company may fight back. DUI-related injury cases can result in substantial payouts to victims, so insurance companies may fight your injury claim. An experienced attorney can help you best present your case to fight the insurance company, deal with the complicated legal language within insurance contracts, and help you receive every dollar you deserve.
- Your case may be limited by the pain and suffering you’ve experienced. In most cases, the DUI driver is held at fault in a car accident, but the damages you may seek are often limited by the physical harm you’ve experienced. If you’ve only suffered a dented bumper, you may not receive anything for pain and suffering if there was no personal injury. But if you have suffered serious injuries, you may seek additional compensation.
Your attorney will help you weigh your case and decide whether or not your injuries and medical bills are worth pursuing against the other driver.
Potential Losses to Recover
If you’re the victim of a DUI-related car accident, your vehicle repairs may not be your only expense. You may be worried about covering your medical bills or missing wages as you call out of work to recover from your injuries. When we work with DUI victims, we often help them recover expenses related to the following:
- Physical injuries
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation expenses if you need additional support to recover from your injuries
- Lost wages
- Long-term personal care if you need extra care after leaving the hospital
- Permanent disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Funeral, burial, or cremation expenses (if someone has died in the crash)
- Pain and suffering
The damages you pursue depend entirely on the circumstances surrounding your case, the injuries you’ve suffered, and the income you’ve lost as a direct result of the accident.
Finding a DUI Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a DUI accident, contact Dugan & Associates. Our team of attorneys has more than 100 years of combined experience fighting for clients. We will help you determine the best course of action so that you can receive the check you deserve.