How to file a claim for the EEOIC

The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation is a federal program to compensate energy workers and their families for injuries suffered while working on qualified contracts for the Department of Energy. Energy workers are at risk of being exposed to dangerously high levels of radiation and chemicals that can affect their ability to work. In response to these health risks, Congress created the EEOIC. It does not protect every worker ? it only protects workers that perform work on behalf of the Department of Energy. Typically this will include nuclear power plant workers and other similar fields. You may contact your employer to determine if this program covers you.

This article will discuss how you file a claim with the EEOIC and what information you need to complete the process. The EEOIC is administered by the Department of Labor by the Division of the EEOIC. The hyperlink provided above links to the DEEOIC's webpage that contains all the documents you need to complete your request.


You file different forms depending upon whether or not you are an energy worker or a family member. What information you will need depends upon which forms you are filling out. Once you have filled out the forms, you must print and mail them. You must mail the form to the DEEOIC district office near you; you can locate this information on the DEEOIC website. You may also call the DEEOIC to inquire as to the status of your application, however, anticipate that it could take several months to process.


If you are an energy worker, and you suffer from illnesses due to exposure to radiation or other dangerous chemicals, then you may have a claim under the EEOIC or worker's compensation. The bureaucracy is complicated so you may want to speak to a lawyer who can help walk you through the process.

Think you have a workers’ compensation case?

Contact us

"*" indicates required fields

One of our attorneys will review your case within 24 hours and we will reach out with the next steps