These simple tips can help you avoid Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA) for driving in the winter. At Dugan & Associates Lawyers Representing Injured People: We Fight For The Check You Deserve! Follow the following tips could mean the difference in avoiding an automobile accident or not. As the weather worsens and the post holiday deep freeze starts to take hold driving can be hazardous.
1. Wiper Blades. Did you know they make winter blades? You can take your car in or replace them yourself. Some people cover their blades when they aren't driving. Others may lift them up so they don't freeze to the windshield. Frozen blades to the windshield will not work properly and are hazardous. Sometimes even after you get your window defroster heated they still may not work. Not properly seeing out your car window can result in a car accident. Planning can avoid Motor Vehicle Accidents.
2. Snow, ice or frost on the windshield. Warm up your car plenty of time before you get in. My grandfather would go out 15-20 minutes ahead of time, like clockwork, in the winter to make sure the car was warm and ready to go by the time us kids got in. If you don't have a lot of time to warm up your car and no garage like my family growing up try to park under cover when possible and make sure you clear all ice and snow for proper visibility.
3. Windshield washer fluid. Always make sure you have good quality fluid with de-icer during the winter in your automobile. Just plain water will freeze before you can even use it. And always make sure it is full. How often are we driving down the road getting slush on the windshield that we need to repeatedly turn on our wipers and fluid to remove. Just another tip to avoid a car accident.
4. Gas. Always make sure you have a full tank of gas. If you get up in the morning and have to run your car for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to clean your car your going to need that extra gas. And you don't want to be stuck on the Highway out of gas in these conditions. Believe it or not innocent people get injured more than they should tending to their car on the side of the road when another motor vehicle crashes/slides into them.
Frozen door locks. There are many products out there to unfreeze door locks. One time we noticed that my dad kept his de-icer in his glove compartment until we explained to him that if his doors are frozen he won't be able to access the glove compartment. I'd suggest keeping one in that kitchen drawer where you keep your other non-kitchen items.
6. Snow tires or a good pair of all season tires. There is nothing better than the right tires for the right driving conditions. That could make the difference in not making it up your hill and having 4 cars behind you helplessly waiting and praying you don't slide back into them or you making it home on time for dinner. Some people also like to keep kitty litter in their trunk because if they get stuck they can throw it down as traction to get going against.
Stay safe, Drive prepared, obey the rules of the road and arrive alive. Dont be a statistic. For these and other questions about whether you may have a Motor Vehicle Accident, auto accident, or car accident case contact the lawyers at Dugan & Associates, Lawyers Representing Injured People. 1-800-772-5422 or 1-877-99-D-U-G-A-N. We Fight for the Check You Deserve!
"*" indicates required fields